2018 Endorsement Process
Michigan Democratic Party Progressive Caucus (MDPPC)
To ensure every candidate has the opportunity to apply for endorsement, we have set the following dates for our endorsement process for the 2018 election. We decided our application deadlines based on a date where it will become logistically improbable for candidates running for statewide office to gather signatures in time for their deadline of April 24th and with a secondary round of endorsements set for candidates that may file closer to the April 24th filing deadline. Our endorsement process and timeline for the 2018 election cycle will proceed as follows:
- The Progressive Caucus of the Michigan Democratic Party will send out endorsement applications to every candidate who has filed for Governor, US Senate, US House, Secretary of State and Attorney General by November 30, 2017.
- Chair of the Progressive Caucus and other volunteers will be responsible for forming a Google Sheet with the names and contact information for every candidate to whom we will be sending our endorsement applications by November 30, 2017.
- Applications for endorsement must be received by 11:59pm on December 27, 2017 to be considered for our first round of endorsements.
- Our second round of endorsements will start in February 2018.
- Once the Progressive Caucus has received all of the applications, the Technology Committee will update our website with the answers to the questionnaire for every candidate, noting where candidates did not return our application.
- The Technology Committee will also be responsible for sending out emails to all of our members with a multiple choice survey, giving our membership a way to voice their support for any given candidate, but with an option to “opt out” of voting in certain races.
- The candidate responses must be posted on our website and survey sent to our membership by January 8, 2018.
- The membership must complete the survey by January 18, 2018.
- After the membership survey is completed, the MDP Progressive Caucus Executive Committee will review membership responses and vote on final endorsements.
- The Executive Committee must meet in person or via conference call to review and vote on endorsements by January 31, 2018.
- The Executive Committee will be encouraged to disclose if they are hired staff for a campaign before we vote on endorsements for that particular race. They will not be removed from the voting process.
- Candidates must receive 50% +1 of the vote from the Executive Committee in order to receive an endorsement from the MDP Progressive Caucus. In cases where there is a tie, we will review the survey responses from the membership again and attempt a re-vote. If there is still a tie, no endorsement will be made for that race at that time.
- The second round of endorsement will start on February 1, 2018 and will close for review on February 28, 2018. Endorsements for Round 2 will be announced by mid April 2018.
- The third round of endorsements will start on April 1, 2018 and will close for review on April 30, 2018.
- Endorsements will be reviewed on a case by case basis thereafter.
The MDP Progressive Caucus Executive Committee determines endorsements based on the following criteria:
- Candidates answers to the endorsement questionnaire
- Will the candidate move the progressive movement forward in their community?
- Does the candidate accurately represent the needs/desires of their constituents?
- Are the people the compelling force behind the campaign, not large donors?
What comes with an endorsement from the MDP Progressive Caucus?
- Financial Support – We will make financial distribution decisions after the endorsements. This will be handled in a case-by-case basis.
- Canvassing and Phone banking – Encourage local progressives to volunteer for endorsed candidates, and/or organize days of action in support of candidates.
- Social Media outreach and support